At the grocery store last week I got inspired to make some homemade muffins over the weekend. I debated between chocolate, hearty, lemon poppy seed, and pumpkin muffins but wasn’t quite in the mood for any of those. After a quick Pinterest search, I came across this recipe. Inspired, I gathered ingredients and made these goodies over the weekend. I have slightly altered the recipe to have an added punch of lemon, but these are by no means tart. They’re wonderfully balanced muffins that are not too sweet and not too lemony. Enjoy!
Lemon & Blueberry Muffins
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 8 tbsp softened butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- zest of one lemon
- 1/4 cup buttermilk or 1 tsp lemon juice plus enough milk to equal 1/4 cup
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- juice of one lemon
- powdered sugar
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line or grease your muffin tin.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, salt, and baking powder until mixed. Put that aside for now.
- Next, cream your softened butter and sugar together until fluffy.
- Add your eggs one at a time, making sure to fully incorporate each individual egg.
- Add your vanilla and buttermilk or lemon juice and milk mixture.
- Add your lemon zest to the matter and mix well.
- Now, fold in half of your dry ingredients into the batter. After incorporated, add in your blueberries and the remaining flour mixture. Fold until you have a cohesive batter. Be careful not to overmix it!
- Fill your muffin tins 3/4 full with batter and bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Bake until lightly browned and a toothpick come out clean.
- Take your muffins out of the oven and set on a cooling rack for 5 minutes.
- Carefully remove your muffins from the tins and let them cool completely.
- While waiting for your muffins to cool, combine your freshly squeezed lemon juice and enough powdered sugar to make a thick drizzle. Honestly, mine ended up being too thin for my liking, but just add more powdered sugar and mix a little at a time so that you make sure to not go overboard.
- Drizzle your icing onto your muffins and enjoy!