Stumped on what to make for breakfast? This cinnamon rolls recipe is so delicious and well worth the effort. Every time I have made these delicious cinnamon rolls, everyone is impressed by how they turn out– not only about the fact that these are homemade, but also how beautiful they are.
I found the original recipe while perusing the internet for a cinnamon roll recipe and chose this one because it looked relatively easy and was highly rated. I’ve made one alteration to the recipe and that’s more icing!
- 1 cup warm milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup melted margarine
- 4 1/2 cups bread flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp bread machine yeast
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 1/2 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup softened butter
- 6 ounces softened cream cheese
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Place the milk, eggs, melted margarine, bread flour, salt, sugar, and yeast in your bread machine according to manufacturer’s instructions. Select the ‘dough’ cycle and let it run it’s course. On my bread machine, this took one and half hours.
- After the dough is finished, turn out the dough onto a floured surface. Cover and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine your brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Roll the dough into a 16 by 21 inch rectangle. Spread the softened butter onto the dough. You’ll probably just want to use your hands (trust me, it works better than a spatula).
- Sprinkle the sugar and cinnamon mixture onto the rolled out dough.
- Roll up your dough and cut it into 12 pieces. Place these rolls into a greased baking dish (I use two 8″ cake pans to cook my rolls so that I can easily freeze half, but you may use a 9 by 13 baking dish if you have a family waiting to consume this).
- Cover the rolls and let them rise 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Bake the rolls for 15 minutes (or until golden brown). Remove from the oven and let them rest for five minutes.
- While your rolls rest, beat together your cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla, and salt, until smooth. Spread the icing evenly over your rolls and enjoy!